Sunday, December 4, 2011

Recipe: Sticky BBQ Chicken wings


Today my mouth was sauced up for two things: potatoes and creamed spinach. I initially wanted roasted, garlic potatoes, but there weren't enough potatoes. Before I could come up with an alternative, my eyes scanned my cabinet and found two boxes of Betty Crocker Au gratin potatoes.   Before I post the recipe, please note that I rarely do any measuring so I can't give exact measurements for everything. Here's what you'll need for the meal:

 
  • Chicken wings - clean them and season to your liking but do not season heavily. You can cut the tips if you want but I like to keep mine on
  •  
  • Betty Crocker Au gratin. As many as you need. I made two boxes for two people but I expect it to last at least until Wednesday.
  •  
  • Two boxes of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted. You can use one but you'll wish you made more
  •  
  • 1 package of grated Parmesan
  •  
  • Butter
  •  
  • Onion
  •  
  • Clove of Garlic
  •  
  • Red pepper flakes
  • Sour cream
  •  
  • Evaporated milk. Can also use heavy cream but I didn't have any today
  •  
  • Nutmeg
  •  
  • French's fried onions
  •  
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
 
 
Preheat oven to 400•F. Follow the instructions on the Au gratin box(remember to duplicate ingredient amounts if using more than one box). Put Au gratin in oven.
Arrange seasoned chicken wings in aluminum pan and cover with foil. Place in oven.
Melt butter in saucepan. Add onions, red pepper flakes, and garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add milk or heavy cream, nutmeg and Parmesan cheese. Stir often until cheese whims to melt. When sauce turns creamy and starts to bubble, add spinach and sour cream. Turn off heat. Mix everything together then pour spinach into a buttered baking dish.


 I learned this trick from Sunny Anderson on The Food Network's Cooking For Real: top spinach with French's fried onions.


Place in oven. I swear, you're gonna wanna eat the whole thing!

Remove Au Gratin after 25 minutes, spinach after about 10(don't let onions burn), and remove cover from wings after about 25 minutes. Continue baking until a caramel color appears after about 15 minutes. Turn wings over and let other side brown for another 10 minutes. I drizzled a little semi-homeade BBQ sauce I whipped together on the stove. Just mix some existing BBQ sauce, tomato sauce, parsley, salt and black pepper, a little water and some browning in the saucepan with the cream sauce for a few minutes. Hope you try this recipe and enjoy it like we did!

1 comment:

  1. That looks yummy! I will have to try the spinach recipe!

    ReplyDelete